Tour of the Historic Center and the Sassi Plus in Ape Calessino with a visit to the Lamaquacchiola cave
Duration: 120 minutes
Cost: starting from € 45.00 per person (including tourist attractions tickets)
This tour allows you to cross the historic center and the Civita, to travel, aboard the comfortable Ape Vito Calessino, the Sasso Barisano and the Sasso Caveoso and to visit the Lamaquacchiola cave.
During the journey we will stop in the most suggestive squares and alleys of Matera and in the liveliest areas, rich in history, art, architecture and populated by many small local crafts.
Route and main stages
In addition to visiting the most important points of artistic interest in the city and the Sassi, this tour will also guide you to discover the ancient pastoral residences, in the far south of Matera. These rooms were also used as a shelter for animals.
We will reach the famous Lamaquacchiola Cave, and you will have the opportunity to see living spaces obtained by digging the rock of the Murgia of Matera.
The landscape in this area is sparse and barren, in reality it hides archaeological sites and caves of historical and cultural interest which are excellent examples of prehistoric settlements.
Studies and research have shown that this was one of the first areas of the Materan territory to be inhabited. Numerous finds from the Paleolithic period testify to the presence of communities that defined their home here.
Peace, wind and the desire to discover will accompany us as we visit these districts. My advice is to leave your thoughts at home and immerse yourself in this landscape.
The tour can be customized to meet various needs.
Contact me to book the tour of the Historic Center and Sassi with a visit to the Lamaquacchiola Cave!
- Piazza San Francesco
- Church of San Francesco d’Assisi
- Church of the Purgatory
- Via del Corso
- via Delle Beccherie
- Seat square
- Civita – Piazza Duomo (panoramic stop)
- Cathedral of SS. Maria della Bruna (independent visit)
- Vittorio Veneto square
- via d’Addozio
- Church of Sant’Agostino (independent visit)
- Rock Church of San Giuliano (independent visit)
- Panoramic view of Sasso Barisano (stop)
- via Fiorentini
- Cave house (Audio guide and Ticket included)
- via Sant’Antonio Abate
- Torre Metellana
- Church of Sant ‘Antonio Abate (not open to visitors)
- Madonna delle Virtù and San Nicola dei Greci
- panoramic stop Porta Pistola
- Panoramic stop in Piazza San Pietro Caveoso
- Church of San Pietro Caveoso (independent visit)
- visit to a cave in the Murgia Materana park (no belvedere)
The route of the route may be subject to variations due tochanges in traffic conditions or other needs related to local mobility.